How to Post Engaging Content on Facebook
Don't let the Facebook bots kick you out of the news feed for low-quality content!
It can be incredibly challenging to get people to engage on with your Facebook posts. But it's also more important than ever before.
There are thousands of posts being published every minute, so Facebook's algorithmic AI is constantly adjusting the news feed to show content that each user finds enjoyable to keep them coming back for more.
So how do you break through the clutter and appease the AI's?
You write engaging content.
If people engage with your content in the form of likes, reactions, shares, comments, or clicks then that signals to the bots that they enjoy your content. That increases your chances of making it into the news feed each time you post.
Post at the right time
You've probably heard this one before... but you need to post at the optimal time of the day.
Different studies will reveal drastically different results.
The best way to figure it out is to run tests. Post regularly and review Facebook Insights to see which posts are getting the most engagement and what times of day that the engagement is happening.
Try posting at non-peak hours of the day. Lots of businesses are posting at those times, so you have more competition. Run some experiments and try posting at odd times and see if your engagement improves.
If you aren't sure where to start then you can follow these general guidelines for your first posts and then adjust from there as you get real data.
- The best time to post on Facebook is 1-4 pm
- The worst time to post is on weekends from 8 pm to 8 am
- The peak time is Wednesday at 3 pm
Stories work great for engagement. People remember them and they connect with them. You build relationships with your audience that grow in trust over time.
Ask Fill-in-the-Blank Questions
When people encounter a fill-in-the-blank question they feel immediately compelled to respond to it.
It's fun and is a great way to boost your engagement.
- You can post about things that are business or product related
- Things related to your industry
- Total randomness
- or something related to a holiday or other special event
- Fill in the blank: My perfect lunch combo is Bacon Avocado Chicken Sandwich with a side of ____. [Posted by Chilis}
- Fill in the blank: I can't live with my Eucerin ____. [Posted by Eucerin]
- Fill in the blank: I have ____ pairs of Loubies. [Posted by Christian Louboutin]
- My favorite thing about live music is _____. [Posted by Live Nation]
- To me, running is _____. [Posted by Runner's World]
- Fill in the blank: I am listening to _____ to survive my day. [Posted by Beats by Dre]
- My favorite place to eat on Saturday is _____. [Posted by Food Network]
- My favorite thing to do after a long day is _____. [Posted by Men's Health]
- My favorite Christmas movie is _____. [Posted by Phillips Island Nature Parks]
- I'm gearing up for my Thanksgiving travels! This year I'm heading to _____ to celebrate [Posted by the Travel Channel]
- On the first day of Christmas, my true love gave to me a _____ on a pear tree. [Posted by Loyamilk]
This type of post will get a lot of responses!
Depending on your question - you might be engaging a lot of the wrong people or not really providing value to your audience or your business, so use these sparingly.
Be Witty & Human
When you're sharing your blog content out on social media, it's important not to be lazy and simply take the headline and intro and re-purpose it into a post.
You need to write posts that are witty and engaging and not robotic.
- Make sure you personalize the post content and the post image. Don't fall victim to overused stock photos. If you must use stock images - then at least do yourself a favor and read this article from Thrive Themes on how to fix them up to be original.
- Use the tips that I shared above. Include a story or something inspirational that will build an emotional connection with that article.
- Use inspirational quotes.
- Include a call-to-action. Ask them to click a link, read the post, or leave a comment.
- Include an upvote-inspired method like "#4 is my favorite" or "I've tried #3 and it definitely works!"
Videos are the hottest form of content on social media right now and Facebook is no exception.
There are literally over 8 billion videos that are watched on Facebook every day. Video helps you build a connection with your fans that you can't do with any other method.
If you want to record your camera and screen at the same time, take a look at Loom. It's easy to use and produces some pretty good videos quickly.
Take advantage of this viral medium to share videos that show:
- Behind the scenes action at your business
- Show you and your team hard at work or hard at fun
- Show how to use your products or services (but try not to be boring)
- Just say hello or share your fun side
- Explain a complicated concept in a quick and easy to understand way
Do You Want
10 Custom Blog Titles?
Do you want a real Content Marketing Certified Web Ninja to craft 10 titles for your next blog articles that are custom tailored for your business and your audience?
Meet the Writer
About Christina Hooper
I was blessed to grow up in a small town with a grandfather that owned the local corner store. His hard work and dedication taught me what it is to use your business to build a community. After working with so many businesses in the last 14 years, I know the power of building relationships. I believe that in order to succeed, businesses must build relationships - with customers, with each other, and with their communities. Thanks to technology, it is easier than ever before to build relationships with people all over the world and I love that I get to help make that happen.
My mission is to help businesses get better at building connections with prospects, turn customers into raving fans, and build brands that clients and customers are proud to know.
Trained & Certified
Get Instant Access to
110 Blog Title Templates
If you're stumped for inspiration for your next inspirational article, then this list of titles should help you dust off a few creative cobwebs and launch your piece in style.
Related Blog Articles